Thursday, October 16, 2008

Update/ Story/ Way I see It

I promised as always if I have a spare moment I would write on my blog. Not sure if anyone reads lol. However it is good for me to get my thoughts out. It is Thursday already I can't believe it! This week me and my co-teacher, Mike and his co-teacher, and chung joo (a teacher that speaks english really well) drove us to a city called uijeongbu to the immigration office so that we could get our ARC (Alien Registration Card). Once getting that I can finally get a cell phone/Internet. All that know me know those two things are very important to me hahah. Anyways I will upload pictures soon to show everyone how westernized Korea is. Least through my eyes. Also everything that I say is through my eyes and how I view it. It might be from the mouth's of my co teachers so I take their word for it. For example how dangerous is the media! Very Dangerous I was talking with my teacher (Its really weird she has a family, with two daughters, husband and everything, however already it's like were friends even though she is older) anyhow. During xmas she has the choice of going to Australia, America, and Canada. She is going for some certification for her english program that she is in. She asked which one she should go to and of course I told her that I had not been to Australia or Canada so I could not speak for those two countries. However this is how the convo went!

Co Worker- Where should I go?
J- I havent been to Australia or Canada so I can't say. So I say if you have the chance go to America. Which state would you be in?
Co Worker--I think it would be in San Diego, California have you been there?
J- No my dad has and he say's its beautiful! I want to go to Cali one day. I think you should go there! the weather is great there!
Co Worker- I am not so sure will I get shot there?
J- Will you get shot?
Co Worker- Yes! I dont want to go to America because I afraid people will be unfriendly! and that I will get shot!
J- You would be fine those are just stereotypes. I am friendly aren't I?
Co Worker- laughs. Laughs. Yes you are very friendly I will think about it.

Media did that! We are portrayed as a RICH, and Mean Country. The whole world views us as beasts. Well the only way to break stereotypes is to be in the midst of the problem. This small conversation is why I am here! According to stereotypes I am supposed to be selling drugs, dead, or in Jail. I am not bragging but I am 22 year old Black Male! and have traveled to Almost every Continent in the world. I am blessed to say the least. Let's take some time out to break stereotypes they are harmful and dangerous. Im signing out. Urs Truly. AS always. Always LG lifes good