Friday, November 07, 2008

"As you stand as a monument to the One's that came Before"

Its Amazing to me how everything works out for the best. When I first decided to come to Korea I was supposed to leave shortly after I got back from my trip to Germany and Switzerland. My plan was to be gone by the time my lease ran out of my apartment back in Va. I was rushing trying to get things in order! It was chaos working 40hrs a week at a graphic design shop on top of taking two course trying to finish up my degree on schedule and on time. With the weight of 40hrs a week, school, trying to pack making sure things are in order, and most importantly spending time with my homies. To make a long story short my first contract did not go through and allowed more time with my family. Which worked out great! I got to spend the whole month with my MOM + DAD and most importantly my Grandmother. In that month I learned alot about her! I cooked for her! At times I was annoyed by her because she is older. But soon realized she can't help that she sometimes forgets her cain downstairs. Or picks her nose at the dinner table instead of going to the bathroom. It was more than that. I actually spent quality time with her. Watching the price is right and channel 9 the only DC statiton she watches, taking her to appointments. Asking her about how she felt about the elections. What she used to do when she was younger! What her favorite foods are. What foods she doesnt like! What does she like to do.
Well It just made me think of that when I took a picture of one of my favorite students Su Park is what I call her. At the beginning of the english festival in my city. Korea is huge on RESPECT FOR ELDERS. FAMILY is a huge part of everything they do. I asked her if she hangs out with her Grandfather alot SHE responds "Of ourse! I love my grandfather! he lives with me dont you live with your grandmother and grandfather" Wow....Im thankful I didnt leave when I did...as always always always...lifes good!

No comments: